Cape Cod Healthcare Heroes lead the way with COVID-19 vaccine
Encouraging our team to take the first step for prevention
This week, Cape Cod Healthcare began administering COVID-19 vaccinations to our hospital staff, a first step in preventing this deadly virus from further infiltrating our community. As expected, our very own Healthcare Heroes stepped up to the occasion to lead our community and the Commonwealth in what we hope will the first step in our journey beyond this pandemic.
Per the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, hospitals and frontline workers are prioritized for the first round of COVID-19 vaccinations. Cape Cod Healthcare has been approved to administer the COVID-19 vaccine to our staff and Occupational Health has begun clinics for employee vaccinations. Our goal is to complete our first round of vaccinations for CCHC hospital and frontline staff, in accordance to state guidelines by the end of the December. This is a priority as we know the importance this vaccine will play in slowing the spread of COVID-19.
We strongly encourage you to help protect yourself, our patients and our community by receiving this vaccination as it is offered to your department.
We understand you may have questions or concerns related to the COVID-19 vaccine and/or the vaccination process here at Cape Cod Healthcare. Here are some facts:
- This vaccine is very safe. It has gone through extensive and rigorous testing to ensure it is safe and has been endorsed by the leading infectious disease experts in the country. It had to go through the same stringent approval process as all vaccines currently available in the United States.
- Based on the current research, we anticipate that the COVID-19 vaccine will be approximately 95 percent effective. This is significantly higher than other common vaccines like the flu vaccine, which is typically between 40-60% effective and still considered the best line of defense for fighting influenza.
- The COVID-19 vaccine will NOT give you COVID-19. It does NOT contain a live or weakened virus, and there is no possible risk of contracting the virus through the vaccine. Please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website for more information: www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines.
- The vaccine will be offered at no cost to you. Like the flu shot, the COVID-19 vaccine will be offered at no charge to CCHC team members.
- Everyone receiving the vaccine will be scheduled to maximize efficiency and safety.
- Getting the vaccine will not be mandatory at this time, but we strongly encourage everyone to get vaccinated to help ensure the safety of our patients and one another.
Thank you on behalf of Cape Cod Healthcare for leading the way to help protect our community, our patients and each other.
Michael K. Lauf, President and CEO, CCHC